JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shimatani Hitomi - Taiyoushin

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 310728 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #880 on: December 19, 2009, 10:08:28 PM »
^Well if you wanna hear it from me, a pair is only as good as its individual components, so you have to consider just who those individuals are and how they work singularly, and then expand that to see how they work with other people. Observation and insight is the key. :D

Basically, if you figure what kind of a person the individual is, you've taken a very important first step. It's not so much putting them in situations that you want to see them in, it's more like...opening a door into a room for them to walk in as they wish. Does that analogy make sense?

Oh and to expand the analogy, here's a short thinking/writing exercise for everyone.

Imagine a scenario you would like your character to be in. Define things like place, time, objects etc. These will be the boundaries of your "room". The next time is to think about your character. What kind of person are they? Are they prone to asking outright why things are happening, or the type to keep it within themselves? Will they make active steps to manipulate conditions to suit them, or wait for someone else to do it (or prompt others to do so)? Define these fundamental parameters and let your character into the room, the situation you created. With some practice, it'll be like programming an A.I. in writing. :D

And this is why I always take so long to write. I always set my parameters down to very fine, random details...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:14:24 PM by Estrea »

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #881 on: December 19, 2009, 10:41:10 PM »
^ sadly I have no idea now :sweatdrop: :(

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #882 on: December 19, 2009, 10:42:58 PM »
^Um, sorry? My brain's a bit overtaxed at the moment so I'm operating on auto...it's 15 minutes away from 6am here. ^^;

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #883 on: December 19, 2009, 10:51:40 PM »
I meant I have no idea what youre saying...I'm really gonna need some help

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #884 on: December 19, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »
you want to create a "situation" that you want your pairing to be in, and you have to place them into the personalities that you want them to have.  They must have a certain relationship between each other to have them to interact and how you put them into fic will be how you should want them to be.

Like take two girls and have them talk to each other, then create a situation for both of them

Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #885 on: December 20, 2009, 03:29:22 AM »
I'm not sure that's exactly what she's talking about, actually. XD
She's kind of describing how I tend to write too. It's just... perhaps a bit of an abstract way of doing it? I always tell people that I can't say exactly what's going to happen later in a story, because it depends on how the characters interact with each other. It's not that you only really "create a situation for them". Perhaps that's what happens at the beginning, such as making a setting, and maybe having some kind of history for both the setting and the characters involved, but after that it's basically just letting the characters go at it, maybe with a little guidance from you if you have some ideas of where you want things to do, but mostly just letting the characters guide themselves.

...What I mean by this, is to begin with a bit of dialog or action. Have a character comment on something involving the situation, or have one of them do something that you find interesting or might help lead toward a plot goal. After that though, just let the characters go. If there's someone else involved, how would they respond to what the first character does or says? Have them respond that way, and throw it back to the first character. As this exchange continues, eventually things will occur and happen, but it might end up in at least a bit of a different place than you began.

For example, an idea I thought of a little while ago...
Aichan has just bought a house on Fiji that really is more an expanse of ancient stone ruins than an actual "house". She'd just come off of a bad breakup with Risa, and also recently retired from the idol industry after it was discovered she had a scandalous affair with super-idol Reina Tanaka as well as ten other under-aged mistresses. She took her yacht to Fiji looking for a quiet life in the tropics to retire and disappear for a little while.

Once she gets there and buys her ruins, she makes friends with two Chinese expats named Chun and Lin, and she tries to begin her life anew... as well as discover whatever secrets might lie in her new "resting" (Rest In Peace?) grounds.

Goals I'd initially like to work toward in the story are maybe an AiLin relationship since it's intriguing with the talk about it in here recently. I'd also like them to find that there really are some hidden ancient secrets to her ruins, like it used to be an old castle built by European seafarers in the sixteenth century. She'll maybe discover new evidence of who REALLY were the first to sail around the world - like that they were really Japanese or something, forever altering what was thought about the course of history....

Anyway...

So I begin to write that. HOWEVER, as the characters interact and things develop, Aichan in her curious nature finds Chun's fascination with the bananas that can be grown on the island fascinating, and they begin to learn together what fantastic uses the "forbidden fruit" can actually be put to, and this leads yet to another illicit affair, something that Aichan tends to be prone to. Needless to say, this doesn't really help promote the AiLin dynamic I had originally been aiming for, and in fact those two may just never get together cause they might seem to work better as just friends. Or... Maybe there is still something going on with them, and that helps some drama develop with a kind of interracial love triangle in the Bermuda Triangle... er... I mean Fiji.

The point is that because of the characters' interactions as I write, it ends up in a completely different place than I originally intended relationship-wise. Also, because of the story that developed around the relationships, that became the main focus of the broader fic in general, and the whole deal about the ruins and rewriting history that I was so excited about gets put on the back-burner, if much happens with it at all. Why did this happen? Because I had a kind of setting to begin with, put the characters in it, and then pretty much set them free. That's how the story was made...

That kind of thing has actually happened in a few of the stories I've written so far XD and I'm sure they will in the future too. I think this is more what Essy was talking about... though... *looks at what he just wrote* um......... >.>

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #886 on: December 20, 2009, 06:46:06 AM »
^ Holy crap, man. Ditto for me.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #887 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:13 AM »
I love you rokun. :heart: Thank you.

And on a sidenote: Fiji GJ! :lol:

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #888 on: December 20, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »
Okay, with 2 weeks of winter break ahead of me, I (hopefully) might be able to start getting caught up on all the updates that I've missed. :nervous

That being said, to help myself get caught up, I'm most likely going to force myself to keep my comments as miminal as possible. Obviously it isn't meant to be a snipe against any of the awesome writers we have here, but considering how much there is for me to read, for me to do the massive commentary would just make things take insanely long.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #889 on: December 20, 2009, 08:48:46 AM »
^No probs JFC, we've missed you commenting in general, but given the amount you have to catch up on, it's alright. :D Will be good to just see you be back!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #890 on: December 20, 2009, 08:53:20 AM »
Yeah, can't wait! Definitely missed you here.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #891 on: December 20, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »
same here :lol:
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
« Reply #892 on: December 20, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »
lol, crap, I go and write like two sentences and then this whole conversation comes up? Well, It is useful if I can processes it which won't be so quick. Curse my slow learning! >_< That and well I just woke up so what I read just now could be leaving my head as I write. Does that make sense? Ah, I'm so groggy!

But once I re-read what Rokun and Estrea said I should be able to understand it in no time. ^_^

From what I've read though, man writing seems hard and complicated! >_< I love/hate writing and I hate it more sometimes when I feel that my writing ability isn't improving when I work hard to become better. I could probably  be though that I'm hard on myself which I am on many things not just writing.

@JFC- It's OK if your comments aren't long. I understand that there are a lot of fics that have been posted and updated since you were away so that's fine.

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #893 on: December 23, 2009, 12:49:15 AM »
o.o wow that kinda helped me out too ^^; i always had these great ideas in my head, but they'd just be at a part that would've happen in the middle of the fic/oneshot..hence i never realy do much about  it and leave it at that >.<

and JFC it's understandable ^^ it's fun reading your comments XD
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #894 on: December 23, 2009, 05:51:32 AM »
^Well that's what most people (and I XD) do a lot. Just jump straight in without really thinking about what's going on around the story other than what you want to happen. *cough*AA*cough* It's a fast way to run out of steam if you don't know what material have to work with, because there are going to be significant gaps in between the scenes you want to write, and the story lacks direction. I know rokun says that plot has a tendency to change while you're writing, but right off the bat you're at least going to need to know where you're trying to head towards before finding out whether that route works out or not while you're writing. Individual scenes are nice though, I figured that I should just write them out, leave them in a separate document, and see if I can ever use them someday. XD Dialogue ideas don't always appear out of thin air after all. :D

@writerjunkie: Hehe don't underestimate the power of digression. :P And yes, writing is harder than it seems! Granted, anyone who has a basic command of language can technically tell a story, hence the low barriers of entry to the world of fic writing, but to do it well requires more effort. I've been in fanfic writing for 4 years and counting (that's minus the 2 years of hiatus I took in between), and believe me, your writing will mature with you...if, of course, you go through different experiences and learn from them. Practice is one thing, but another thing is to learn what works for you and what doesn't. Finding your own voice is important in writing, though mimicking the writers you like for a beginning works while you're still picking things up. And I'm rambling so I'll stop now. :D

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #895 on: December 23, 2009, 06:18:50 AM »
^*applauds* That's good advice Essy-sama! And I know what you mean about dialogue. That's a lot harder to do than action scenes. Even just the few minutes it takes after I've thought up dialogue to the time I get it down, I forget something.

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
« Reply #896 on: December 23, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
Thanks for the advise Estrea I'll keep that in mind when I write.

My writing has changed and gotten better if I compare to when I was 12 since I've written and read fanfiction since that age, but it still hasn't gotten tot he standards I want. But I guess it just takes time and the best I can do is just keep writing and practicing, huh?

Though i wish inspiration came to me soon though that helps and plays a big role on my writing.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #897 on: December 23, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »
^Eh, I've been reading since I was 4, but fanfiction came to me only when I was 12 too. XD Though I didn't actually start writing until I was 15 (and at a friend's instigation). At the beginning, it's best to read all sorts of things, since we can't really tell what is good or bad, but eventually you'll start spotting what you like better and what just doesn't work out. In that case, stick to the good and avoid the bad. Reading good things helps with writing more than you think. :D That might be why I don't read a lot of fanfiction nowadays, too much crap on the interwebz...

So yup, just keep working at it. You'll never really be satisfied, but hey, every little bit counts! :lol: I know I'm still not satisfied with my own standards. :P Inspiration always helps, but sometimes you just gotta buckle down and write something, anything. Not that I'm a good model for that since I always get distracted by any number of other things...^^;

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Kitami

• Member+
« Reply #898 on: December 25, 2009, 08:25:17 PM »
^You might not be happy with what you produce Essy but I know I wish I could write like you do. Your style is just amazing to me :D Hence why you are my favorite author~ I do understand everyone has their own style but what always makes me screw up is I have so much in my head that I wish to wrote so things get too rushed and you don't get the feel of the characters like you do in your stories. That is why I stick to poetry or very short little stories  :sweatdrop:

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #899 on: December 26, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »
^
Take your time with the writing. I can tell you from personal experience that a little extra time can make a huge difference. But perhaps I'm not the best advice-giver, considering the length of my impromptu hiatus from writing. :nervous
And I wish I could write like Essy too. :D

JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shimatani Hitomi - Taiyoushin