JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Boogie Jack - Ima Yuku Kara

Author Topic: US 2008 election Democrat nomination  (Read 2010 times)

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
US 2008 election Democrat nomination
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:11:33 PM »
The race for the White House is on!  Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Bill Richardson, and John Edwards have all announced they are running.  Who do you think should get the Democrat nomination to take back the White House in 2008?

Hillary Clinton was First Lady for 8 years, during which she unsuccessfully campaigned for universal healthcare, and Senator for 6 years, during which she voted for the war in Iraq.  She's got the support of Democrat heavyweights and will get tons of funding, but lots of Democrats were frustrated when she didn't take a stand against the war.  Plus, the Republicans hate her more than they hated Bill, and will arm themselves to the teeth to take her down.  

I and many Democrats I know will strongly support her, but I know that if she is nominated, the Republican campaign against her will be unimaginingly brutal.  I don't know if she has what it takes to win.

Barack Obama is a 45 year old freshman Senator from Chicago, and the most high-profile black candidate in Democrat history.  He's young, charismatic, and most often compared to JFK or Bill.  An incredible speaker, he's building lots of good karma among Democrat politicians nation-wide by very effectively supporting local fund raising efforts.  He'll pull in the black and liberal vote, but they're Democrat loyalists already.  I'm ready for a 46 year old black president, but I'm not sure he can swing the red states.

Bill Richardson is the latino governor of New Mexico.  He's got 25 years of solid political experience, including ambassador to the United Nations and Energy secretary to Clinton.  He's worked with the North Koreans, the Cubans the Sudanese, and even the Taliban.  He'll win the Hispanic vote, which has historically been a swing group - that's gonna be a very very strong plus for him.  But will he turn off the "Americans-first" anti-immigration crowd?  He's my choice: Democrat loyalists (everybody who would vote for Obama and Hillary) will vote for him, and he'll swing a large part of the latino vote to the Democrats as well.  

John Edwards was the 2004 VP nominee.  He fought a good close fight, but still lost.  He doesn't have the superstar quality as the other 3 candidates, but he's still the only nice safe WASP Democrat candidate.  Some Democrats might choose him as the safe choice nominee.

Recent ABC News/Washington Post poll, conducted Tuesday through Friday and published Sunday, had the following results:
 - Hillary: 41%
 - Obama: 17%
 - Edwards: 11%
 - Richardson: 1%

2008 might be a historic year in american politics.  For first time, there's a strong chance that a minority/female will be a serious candidate for the Presidency!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:27:05 PM by chera »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:45:35 PM »
I'm currently backing either Clinton or Richardson for the democrats. If Hilary were to become president, there is a chance of lots of domestic reforms, but I really don't know how she'd handle foreign affairs. Richardson has lots of experience in domestic and international affairs and I find that his most appealing quality.

I still don't know much about the candidates though so I'll just see what comes up. I'm sorta leaning more towards Richardson, but Clinton seems the more likely candidate for the presidency right now.

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:33:39 PM »
Personally I don't have an opinion on these candidates yet. The only thing I know is Hillary should not win, but I'm still debating between Richardson and Obama.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:55:40 PM »
Edwards would probably be the most competent.

The biggest trouble with Obama is that he hasn't really taken a stand on much.

As soon as he starts having to define his positions on abortion, Iraq and other heated issues, he'll lose a lot of support.

Or he could just go the entire campaign without taking a position on those issues - but we all saw how well that worked for Kerry. :P

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:26:34 PM »
GOOOO OBAMA~~~~!

[size=-2]i'm tired of this family business in office, it's all i've known. Hillary makes me cringe, lulz Edwards, and Richardson who? -_-[/size]

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:29:24 AM »
But you know, while all the attention on the media is on the Democratic candidates, who'll be the Republican candidates?

Offline robytronix

• ecchi
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 03:18:43 AM »
OBAMARAMA

Offline LovelyMermaid

• Member+
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:25:59 AM »
I say Obama :D

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
A difficult choice between Hillary and Obama. I chose Clinton because I think he might have a better chance to beat her republican enemy whoever he'd be.
coot is ctz

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
Quote from: ctz;293596
A difficult choice between Hillary and Obama. I chose Clinton because I think he might have a better chance to beat her republican enemy whoever he'd be.
Freudian slip?? :)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 01:07:22 AM »
I really think Hilary could win the 2008 elections.. so I'd put her up as candidate

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »
But in the real context of America, can a woman, Muslim-American, or Hispanic American win?

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 08:38:11 PM »
^ It's difficult with all the slander that's going to be put on them. I can see it now:

"Clinton's a woman! What if she get's too emotional!?"
"Obama - The name is enough, isn't it!?" (No really. I've heard that)."

And so on and so forth.
I put Obama though. I like the guy. I'm not sure Hillary will get it... it's possible Edwards will since he's already kind of popular.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:09:26 AM »
Quote from: kaminokami2086;296689
But in the real context of America, can a woman, Muslim-American, or Hispanic American win?

I don't see why not. We've certainly had enough women and hispanic governors, senators, etc.

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »
^governors, senators, etc are just one state. and if you look at congress the majority is still predominantly white males, to win a presidency you need the support of the nation's majority (unless your Bush). Believe it or not the US is still sexist and racist underneath. Although I do think some of these candidates are qualifies, their chances of winning are slim merely because they are a "minority."

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
I don't buy that. It's the exact same thing the British said right before Thatcher got elected.

I think most people vote for whoever is going to look out for their perceived best interests.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 07:44:04 PM »
I think there are a lot of people who will vote for the candidate they feel is right, but there are also many that will vote with race or gender playing a role. Some don't want to see a minority in office, so they'll vote accordingly, but then others want a minority in office, so that's how they'll vote.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Boogie Jack - Ima Yuku Kara