JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Luna Sea - I for You

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1003268 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2000 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »
Good news for those who are fans of the Zone of the Enders series. There's a sequel in the workds. Very interested to see how the HD collection turns out too, as they're both games I've wanted to play but never did.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2001 on: May 27, 2012, 12:20:24 AM »
Here's a worrying thought, Sony have a patent out there to put advertisements during gameplay, as in 15-30 sec adverts that breaks up gameplay.

A patent filed by Sony Computer Entertainment America in 2011 describes an advertising system in which a game would be "suspended" during play, an advertisement would come up, and then the game would continue – much like TV commercials interrupt segments of programming. According to the patent, ads would be preceded by a warning and a slowdown of gameplay, with another warning displayed when gameplay is about to resume.

The mere filing of a patent is no indication that this will be implemented, simply that the idea came up.

But at least, it's a patent, with no indication it's gonna go ahead and I can only imagine that the outcry will be so severe that Sony just won't continue with the idea.

I'm personally not in favour of it, it seems intrusive and disruptive to how I enjoy the game and an immersion breaker, but just to play devil's advocate, what if having ads in a game can be seen as a good thing? Like what if, as a result of having these ads in the games, it means the RRP could be dropped? You can even offer the market two options, one being the full game with ads at a cheaper price (handy if you're not offended with the idea as you can own the game at a lower price) or the full game at the usual RRP with no ads. Again, not saying it's a good thing at this stage, but the idea is interesting nonetheless.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2002 on: May 27, 2012, 04:42:16 AM »
It sounds annoying enough I'd probably skip games using it.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2003 on: May 27, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
Such a shame to hear that Anarchy Reigns is delayed again. The launch trailer makes it look awesome fun

Offline Ichigo_Pantsu

• "The Penetrator"
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I'm a lover not a fighter!
« Reply #2004 on: May 28, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
hell mode is really one big pain in the  :shakeit:

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2005 on: May 28, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »
Here's a worrying thought, Sony have a patent out there to put advertisements during gameplay, as in 15-30 sec adverts that breaks up gameplay.

A patent filed by Sony Computer Entertainment America in 2011 describes an advertising system in which a game would be "suspended" during play, an advertisement would come up, and then the game would continue – much like TV commercials interrupt segments of programming. According to the patent, ads would be preceded by a warning and a slowdown of gameplay, with another warning displayed when gameplay is about to resume.

The mere filing of a patent is no indication that this will be implemented, simply that the idea came up.

But at least, it's a patent, with no indication it's gonna go ahead and I can only imagine that the outcry will be so severe that Sony just won't continue with the idea.

I'm personally not in favour of it, it seems intrusive and disruptive to how I enjoy the game and an immersion breaker, but just to play devil's advocate, what if having ads in a game can be seen as a good thing? Like what if, as a result of having these ads in the games, it means the RRP could be dropped? You can even offer the market two options, one being the full game with ads at a cheaper price (handy if you're not offended with the idea as you can own the game at a lower price) or the full game at the usual RRP with no ads. Again, not saying it's a good thing at this stage, but the idea is interesting nonetheless.

i'd rather they use product placement like they do in movies...i mean i was playing future soldier on a level where you're in front of a big gamestop lol...there's always soda machines or stores or stuff in the background that you can put actual product logos on. i'd have no problem with that if it meant there was no increase in price....but fuck interrupting my game, especially if it's to advertise a product that i don't use...if sony does that then i'll be playing my ps3 even less (i think the last time i played it was in april lol)

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #2006 on: May 29, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
^yeah, product placement if done right can actually be kinda cool. Adding a little realism here and there.
Like in Ryu Ga Gotoku, where the mags are real. It would be cool if the covers were updated every few weeks.
On the other hand. Metal Gear 4 had a lot of product placement (there was this whole list of energy drinks and chips and stuff), but I didn't notice it at all.

CM's on the other hand. My only reply is FU.
I even get angry seeing the first few credit screens of games (game makers, engines, etc... and i appreciate those guys for their work). Showing CM's randomly is going to mess me up bad.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2007 on: June 02, 2012, 07:21:51 PM »
In news that will surprise absolutely nobody whatsoever, they've announced a new Gears of War game. Familiar characters, familiar setting, same old Horde threat. Give it a rest guys. I thought Halo 4 would be interesting with the promise of new areas and enemies, but now I've heard that things like the Battle Rifle and the Warthog are back and so are the Covenant. I'm bored of it. Nothing wrong with something familiar but not when it's getting to be the same game with a few incremental changes being churned out in such a short space of time. Give me new settings or game mechanics and then we'll talk.

*EDIT*

Just placed an order down for this t-shirt. Looks so badass

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:00:27 AM by Tuffty »

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2009 on: June 03, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
Probably because Epic studios is already at work on their engine or for a next gen game. While I have nothing against People Can Fly, you know it will just be another GOW game. Anything different will only piss off the fanboys and it's easy money to make.

Really enjoying The Witcher 2 but the mini-map is not only difficult to interpret, at times it's flat out wrong. I was meant to see someone tied to a quest and the map pointed me out to an empty plot of land, but he was actually in the tavern all along. Another quest asked me to head out to a burned village which was supposedly in one direction but it's actually in the complete opposite direction.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #2010 on: June 04, 2012, 05:04:48 AM »
Started playing Halo Wars after leaving it dormant

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #2011 on: June 04, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »
Bought Worms Reloaded and so far, I suck.  :nervous Hopefully I get better.

Offline storyboard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2012 on: June 08, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »

Well that was pretty dope...

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #2013 on: June 10, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
So with all these people around me getting and playing Diablo 3, I went and ordered Diablo 2 :P The low price ($10) and my friend convinced me to get it. I also got a copy for my cousin, because I convinced him to get it instead of the new game. There won't be any loneliness playing this game :thumbup

When I was growing up, I always thought Diablo was a shooter, probably because of DOOM and Duke Nukem. How wrong I was :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2014 on: June 10, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
Usually there's an element of shame in playing games with ridiculously easy achievements, the kind you can get all achievements for in 2 hours or so. In Lollipop Chainsaw there's one achievement/trophy in the game that you can earn which brings on a whole other kind of shame. :nervous
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:45:42 PM by Tuffty »

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #2015 on: June 10, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
Finished Halo Wars had to do it on Normal, cause I suck at Heroic

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #2016 on: June 13, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »
I kinda want to play this now  :lol:

I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2017 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
fuuuuuu finally progressing thru future soldier - i was getting stuck on a stealth mission - took me longer than i care to comfess to pass it  :doh: but for the rest of the game, i am going to play as if sayu and c-ute were kidnapped an my mission was to rescue them  :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2018 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »
Usually there's an element of shame in playing games with ridiculously easy achievements, the kind you can get all achievements for in 2 hours or so. In Lollipop Chainsaw there's one achievement/trophy in the game that you can earn which brings on a whole other kind of shame. :nervous
I just got that achievement last night! I was actually tried to do it when I started the game, but Juliet wasn't having it.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2019 on: June 13, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »
Oh dear. In a PR clusterfuck, the executive producer of Tomb Raider came out and defended a potential rape scene upcoming in the game.

"When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character," executive producer Ron Rosenberg explained to Kotaku.

"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character. They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'"

The challenges facing Croft will allow her to appear more human, Rosenberg added.

"The ability to see her as a human is even more enticing to me than the more sexualised version of yesteryear. She literally goes from zero to hero... we're sort of building her up and just when she gets confident, we break her down again."

"She is literally turned into a cornered animal. It's a huge step in her evolution: she's forced to either fight back or die."

Seriously, who thought this was going to be a good idea? In a game where they're already trying to justify Lara's uprising into the woman she is by constantly beating the shit out of her, throwing in a QTE rape scene is just stooping way low. It's a subject which shouldn't be treated lightly and this sounds like it's in the game for controversy and column inches rather than raising awareness. Why is it even remotely acceptable to make one of the few female leading game characters in the industry from archeologist/gymnast/sharpshooter to grubby, passive rape/murder bait? It's pulling back the curtain back so much that you can see right away that the writers/development team are only putting this in there to poke at the player, to force you into having some kind of emotional response to it.

You can absolutely create a Tomb Raider game where a young Lara learns and grows into the character she is, but to go to such extremes as constantly beating, stabbing and now potentially raping the character, as the only way that I am supposed to feel any kind of empathy for her? It's not for me. I think a 'Press A to not get raped' mechanic just horribly undermines the seriousness of the crime.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Luna Sea - I for You