JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hitomi - We Are _Lonely Girl_

Author Topic: Official NBA Thread  (Read 497099 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: Official NBA Thread
« Reply #2140 on: October 14, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »
Nice outdoor game they played the other day...IDIOTS! The Nuggets and Raptors should play an outdoor game when they come to Edmonton next week XD

Even better for Magic, he's joining the ESPN Crew. No more Herb Williams.

Los Angeles Lakers legend Magic Johnson will be joining ESPN as a studio analyst for the network’s NBA coverage, according to a report in the Sports Business Daily, a sister publication of Los Angeles Business.

According to the report, Johnson will make his debut with the net on ABC’s “GMC NBA Countdown” before a Christmas Day tripleheader. Johnson had previously served as an analyst on TNT.

Kobe 24th in scoring. Fun fact from TheLakersnation.com

21,619 points total.
25 per game career.
3rd in active scorers.
He should be 17th by the end of this season.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2141 on: October 15, 2008, 02:46:38 AM »
These Cavs have King James' seal of approval

As the lights came up and the credits rolled at the conclusion of the premiere of a documentary about him and his lifelong friends at the Toronto International Film Festival last month, LeBron James openly admitted he had to wipe away tears.

It was the first time, LeBron said, when he'd allowed himself to cry since he was in eighth grade and his AAU team lost in the national championship game when his game-winning shot attempt rattled out.

Hard to dispute him, but there was no doubt some water in his eyes as he slumped in front of his locker at the TD Banknorth Garden in May. Exhausted physically and mentally after a tight Game 7 loss to the Celtics, it was a difficult conclusion to what was truly the best individual season of his five-year career. It was an emotional time for James, who nearly had carried his team to a stunning playoff upset for a second season in a row.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Economy, uncertain financing delay plans for Brooklyn arena

NEW YORK -- Bruce Ratner's $4 billion dream for a new Brooklyn will have to wait, at least until next year.

The New Jersey Nets owner and developer has been plagued by a string of problems that have delayed his plans for a new NBA arena, office towers and thousands of apartments in Brooklyn.

Ratner said a recent court ruling would delay the project by up to six months, meaning the Nets won't move in until least 2011. Groundbreaking has been pushed back until at least next year for the arena, which will cost more than three times what Ratner paid for the entire franchise. And the financial crisis has made it tougher to raise money, potentially jeopardizing a lucrative naming rights deal with Barclays Capital.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telfair suspended for first three games following guilty plea

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Timberwolves point guard Sebastian Telfair has been suspended three games for pleading guilty to criminal possession of a weapon.

Telfair was sentenced last month to three years' probation. He was arrested in April 2007 when police found him carrying a loaded gun in his car while he was a member of the Boston Celtics.

The Celtics traded him to Minnesota in the deal for Kevin Garnett, and Telfair had a solid and incident-free first season in Minnesota. He signed a three-year, $7.5 million deal this summer to remain with the Timberwolves. He is the top backup to starter Randy Foye.

Telfair will miss home games against Sacramento and Dallas and a road game at Oklahoma City. His first game back will be Nov. 5 against San Antonio.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Devin Harris gets schooled
« Reply #2143 on: October 15, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »

This video is all over the blogosphere.  Good stuff.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #2144 on: October 16, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »
lol devin prolly didnt know who he was. but hes pretty famous in london

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2145 on: October 21, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
haha Devin Harris. Jay-Z needs to trade him...

This is a REAL inspirational story for all those who put off college - yeah Shaq got his MBA but Joe Dumars had a promise to keep.

Commencement finally addressed by Dumars
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
Oct 15, 2:03 pm EDT

As soon as his attorney called with an invitation to deliver a college commencement address, a surreal sense of certainty washed over Joe Dumars. Yes, it was time. All these years, all the wisdom and accomplishment that inspired Central Michigan to honor the Detroit Pistons president, and finally those lingering 21 credits crashed into his consciousness.

“How could I accept a doctorate,” Dumars said, “and not have a degree?”

Dumars left college with a terrific education in 1985, but no diploma. He always planned to finish, but the world came fast and whisked him out of little Lake Charles, La. There were short summers with those Pistons’ playoff runs, a growing family, and eventually the move upstairs to run basketball operations at 36 years old. There was always something.

On his way to three NBA championships and an Olympic gold medal, a Naismith Hall of Fame induction and the league’s model front office, Dumars’ days of grace and accomplishment made him the most famous son of McNeese State University.

“But when we got the alumni newsletter in the mail,” Dumars’ wife, Debbie, said, “it would always be addressed to me.”

So Dumars picked up the phone some 18 months ago, called McNeese State University and enrolled in the online course needed to complete his bachelor’s of science in business management. He thought about his parents, Big Joe and Ophelia, a truck driver and a custodian, who had the intellect for college but never the opportunity. He thought about his wife, a teacher. He thought about his son and daughter. He thought about his front office, his players and everyone else with whom he felt obligated in life. He called McNeese and told them: It’s time.

Perhaps it’s no coincidence that this has been the year when Dumars had never held his franchise so publicly accountable, never sounded so unimpressed with a sixth straight trip to the Eastern Conference finals. He fired his coach, Flip Saunders, and walked into that news conference threatening to trade everyone on his roster.

“I thought we had become a complacent team, living on past successes,” Dumars said. “For the majority of teams in the league, six straight Eastern finals is great, but resting on that was nothing that was going to be acceptable.”

Despite low draft positions, Dumars kept replenishing the Pistons with talented, young players to go with the core of Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace, the cornerstones of the run that included an NBA championship and a seven-game Finals loss to the San Antonio Spurs. No one does a better job restoring veteran players and mining young ones. The Pistons have always had the best business model, controlling payroll without ever compromising championship contention.

As front-office structures go, Dumars is the envy of his profession. Dumars made it easier for the next generation of ex-players to run franchises. He cleared a wider path for African-Americans to get the chance, too. For great players becoming great executives, there’s just Jerry West, Joe Dumars and everyone else.

For a life of such relentless accomplishment, there was still one relentless regret. He wanted that degree.

It always gnawed at me,” Dumars said. “It just gnawed. I’m always talking to my players, and my organization about, ‘No excuses.’ You play 14 years, and become a president of a team and you just haven’t had the time – or rather, you didn’t make any time – to get it done. The academic theme surrounds my entire household. Anytime it would come up with my wife, with our kids, this would be in the back of my mind. …To me, that wasn’t just a piece of paper.”

Debbie Dumars had her bachelor’s and master’s in Education from McNeese, and it was always a jab when he dared suggest that she didn’t know something. “Not only do I have one degree,” she gently told him, “but I have two.” That would always stop him. She had him, and they both knew it. As a player, Debbie had always marveled the way with which he constantly prepared for his post-basketball career. After a corporate appearance, a motivational speech, he would always seek contacts and counsel. He had a natural curiosity about leadership, about running organizations.

“I teased him a little bit, only because he accomplished so much without his degree,” Debbie said. “But I think it bothered him even more than I knew.”

Their son, Jordan, is an all-state player at the prestigious Detroit Country Day School and on his way to the University of South Florida on a basketball scholarship. For all the family discussions of balancing academics and athletics, Debbie understood that nothing made more of a profound impact than her son coming home to find his father completing his course work in his study late at night.

“If you’re going to talk about falling through in life, you’ve got to show it,” she said. “That’s why it was important for Joe to get his degree, and say, ‘Hey, look what I did.’ It kept in line with everything he was preaching.”

In August, the McNeese State president arranged a private graduation ceremony at his house on campus. With the playoffs, Dumars had to miss the June commencement. So, Dumars invited some 15 family and friends in Lake Charles, and told his daughter, Aren, and Jordan that they had to come, too. Sometimes, the unspoken nature of Joe Dumars makes it hard for even his family to understand what matters most to him, but it wouldn’t take long that weekend.

The most famous alumnus in the history of McNeese State University wore his cap and gown and his wife wasn’t sure that she had ever seen anything – not the NBA titles, not the Hall of Fame, nothing – that left him seeming so … so … satisfied.

Finally, there was a quiet moment when Jordan walked up behind his father, and delivered a dig into his ear, “What took you so long, Dad?”

Even Joe Dumars had to laugh. His kids had him on that one, but never again. No more gnawing, no more excuses. No more regret. The final answer in the Dumars household is framed and hanging on a wall.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports.

Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #2146 on: October 22, 2008, 05:02:09 AM »
^ Now that is commitment and dedication. Makes you realize that even if you succeed in life with your talent and skill, eventually those go away. Education says with ya
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2147 on: October 22, 2008, 05:11:27 AM »
^
^
Now THAT, is what you call a classy guy. :yep:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2148 on: October 23, 2008, 07:25:53 AM »
JPHiP Represent Report:

Raptors v. Nuggets at Rexall Place, Edmonton, AB 2008.10.21

Caught me my first NBA game. Raptors came and repped Canada well!! HA! Quite impressed, Jermaine O'Neal showed up but was hurt. LMAO Smush Parker fouled out but had a few choice buckets, incl. a dunk. Nuggets controlled all the way even tho Raptors' Euros started draining 3's - look its Juwan Howard still alive and kicking!

Melo was SOLID. Initiated the breaks, got tons of calls towards the end. That inflatable Raptor mascot was hilarious, eating people. Nice U of A floor btw. The dream is going to Staples Center! or MSG!

Raptor dude addressing the crowd:

Player intros:

MMMMMMMM DELISH! Raptors dancers are tasty:

LOL at least I didn't geek up and wear my Shaq jersey - which is tight. Geek beside me rocked Larry Johnson faded and another one behind me had Raptors circa 1995 XD

and hey...Kobe hurt? Torn knee? Expect him to play in the season debut.  O0

Loose Canons just reported that Kobe is day-to-day, and he hopes to play tomorrow.

At first Kobe felt a “pop” sensation but after further review, the knee is just suffering from a simple hyper extended knee. There is nothing wrong with his ACL or anything like that! Thank God!

DON'T FORGET TO SIGN UP FOR NBA FANTASY BBALL!!

Live Draft is this Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:30:10 AM by daigong »

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2149 on: October 25, 2008, 04:08:39 AM »
Just under 4 days before the regular season tips off.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2150 on: October 26, 2008, 03:49:21 AM »
TMR IS DRAFT DAY FOLKS!! BE THERE!!

Hilarious Guitar Hero Commercial by Kobe XD

Why Tom Cruise, Why?

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2151 on: October 28, 2008, 08:32:16 PM »
yo, yO, YO!!!!!

NBA action set to go tonight with 3 games.
Double header on TNT: Cavs @ Celts followed by Blazers @ Lakers.

Lakeshow tonight, dai, don't miss it.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2152 on: October 28, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »
^ Greg Oden and his 102 year old body is no match for ANDREW BYNUM NEW AND IMPROVED  :yep:

BRING ON THE FUCKIN NBA SEASON!!
2008-09

Your NBA Champs: Lakers
Your MVP: Kobe

THANKS FOR CUMMING!! :jerk:

Too bad goddamn Canadian TV decided to put the shit on the new TSN 2 channel = and I too poor to add more digi chan. FUCK! Thank Rika for KLAC.

Loving my Fantasy team. Kobe. Yao. and thanks Tofu for Shaq!! XD

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2153 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:18 PM »
NBA Tip Off on TNT in 25 minutes.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2159 on: November 07, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
^ WERD. I believe in Magic. I like how he said the current Lakers need that fire inside... "One thing that we always did is we always understood that it was a business year. . . . Like when the Celtics beat us in ‘84, we came back and made it a business year."

Check out that smooth lay up :lol:

Props to KJ too! Now Mayor of Sac Town:

Ten days before the vote on his first campaign for public office, former NBA guard Kevin Johnson stopped by City Hall in Sacramento, Calif., and, during a quick private tour, decided to sit in the mayor's chair to see how it fit. When no one but his aides were listening, he predicted a double-digit victory against his two-time incumbent opponent, though polls showed his lead only in the 4- to 8-point range.

SOURCE: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=3683774

Really jacked at the Lakers performance...Kobe methodically taking em out. Aggressive defense. odom off the bench is steady, totally different cat. PLUS Bynum. 17 boards the other nite vs the Clipp!

What's going on with ur Spurs, L? When's Manu coming back?

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hitomi - We Are _Lonely Girl_