JPHiP Radio (10/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: EvoL - We Are a Bit Different

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1004822 times)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2320 on: February 04, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
Now that I have a computer that can handle new, hq games, what are your recommendations on games for me to keep an eye on, during random sales?

I've already got my eyes on Skyrim, of course.. 8)

-----

Sometimes I feel I have a bit of an RPG problem. Either I'm not immersing myself enough, or I'm not letting go enough. Basically sometimes I'd like to play an RPG really imagining myself as part of the world, not just playing a game. U know? Particularly the roam-the-world-freely games are like this. But I'd also like to play sometimes not taking anything seriously, I think that would be a whole new way of playing for me lol. But I think either of these would have to happen after I've already played through some game (or at least, played it very far/a lot) because I'd still like to be able to experience the main storyline "properly" (I think both intense RP and fucking about carefree would mess this up, lol). Anyway, just some thoughts I've had recently. I'm just always farking tempted to start new characters in games to try new angles, but just end up with too many characters to play. DUH >_<
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2321 on: February 05, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »
Skyrim is awesome. I'm quite enjoying Dishonored at the moment - get to sneak around, explore and get into the occasional sword fight. It got it cheap on Steam's Christmas sale, so it should be cheap again.

If you haven't played it Dragon Age: Origins (not II) is pretty awesome and is cheap these days.

I pre-ordered an Ouya. I figure it'll be useful as a media box for my TV and for playing all the SNES/Genesis games I left in the south.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2322 on: February 05, 2013, 01:47:43 AM »
the new maps for black ops 2 are pretty sick, especially the skatepark level  :thumbup

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #2323 on: February 05, 2013, 08:41:11 AM »
^^^If you haven't played them yet. XCOM should be in everybody's game library. And Arkham City is a full win too. :)

Then there's all the new games coming. Like Crysis 3 and GTA V.

And Witcher 3 just announced! I'd plough it! :w00t:

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #2324 on: February 05, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
Now that I have a computer that can handle new, hq games, what are your recommendations on games for me to keep an eye on, during random sales?

If you haven't already done so, you definitely need to experience The Walking Dead. That's right, I said experience. You don't play The Walking Dead, you experience it! XD
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2325 on: February 05, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
You don't play The Walking Dead, you experience it! XD

Oh I'm experiencing The Walking Dead right now.

In the middle of Episode 3 recently.....

All I can say is.....damn......

Had to put the controller down, shut off the PS3, and walk away to get a glass of water (wishing it was some hard liquor instead). Definitely needed some time to absorb what happened.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2326 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »
^ I know exactly what you're talking about. Isn't it unbelievable what just happened? I was stunned and quite literally, on the edge of tears.

The Witcher 3 has been announced. A next gen, Skyrim-esque, game? Oh lordy I'm so excited. The developers know to craft a good game (and a damn good looking one too) and an incredible story to go with it, so this is good reason to be excited. What's good is that an open world game for Geralt to wander around in is almost like what he does in the books anyway. It's absolutely my most anticipated game for next gen right now.

Shi if I was you, I'd be looking at two games for your brand spanking new computer (so jealous...). One is The Witcher 2. It's an action RPG that might take a while to get used to the combat, but the setting, the story and the characters will make you want to play. It's a great story in this dark fantasy setting that is very reminiscent of say, the ASOIAF series, if leaning somewhat more on the fantasy side of things. But just like ASOIAF, there's no good or evil, just varying shades of grey. It's not an open world game, it moves in a linear fashion, but you can explore the environments, go on side quests etc. Yeh, I'm a fan if you couldn't tell, I think it's one of the most immersive games I've played. Would maybe read up more on that or something like Dragon Age, which is quite literally Mass Effect in a fantasy setting (made by the same developers and all), if you haven't played that already.

Second choice is The Walking Dead. Don't even think about it, just play the fist episode and I guarantee you'll be hooked. The gameplay is secondary. It's completely fine and unobtrusive but it really does have one of the best stories in a game.....period. Let's put it this way, I think it tells a better story, with better characters, than the TV show.

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2327 on: February 06, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »
^ Every time I close my eyes..... *sighs

Shit! Only have beer. Need something stronger.

I need to pick up a game that will cheer me up, like Ni no Kuni or The Cave, maybe Epic Mickey 2. I don't think I'll be up to starting Episode 4 anytime soon.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2328 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
Well damn, Stryfe was already suggesting Witcher 2 yesterday because it's on midweek madness on Steam. So thanks to you Tuff, I've given in and bought it (what's with the 25GB space requirement tho! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I guess Dragon Age Origins is next on my list when it's on discount, as well as Skyrim of course. Damn, all my moneys going on video games. :lol: (I love it secretly)

Arkham Asylum might be too stressful? Is that the one with the giant Scarecrow bit... ...You know what I'm talking about, right... I've watched that part twice on Youtube and just watching it makes me go ohmygodohmygodohmygod XD
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2329 on: February 06, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
Beat Dishonored last night (bad ending, but meh), and started Mass Effect 3. :)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2330 on: February 06, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
Nice work Shi! Don't be put off if you find The Witcher hard at first, it definately takes a while to get used to, especially in the beginning when you're underpowered. Yep Arkham Asylum is the one with the Scarecrow level. What about Arkham City instead?

A potential tease for Project Gotham Racing 5

MSR/PGR2 are joint top the best racing games I've ever played. Not just because of the style of racing, that was a lot of fun. Specifically why I think those games are so great is the soundtrack and the tracks, more specifically the cities. Each city had a real atmosphere to them and it was because, I feel, those cities had radio stations playing music that was native to that country e.g. Stockholm would play bands from Sweden, Yokohama bands from Japan etc. Even the DJ's spoke in the native tongue. To me, that, on top of the really excellent gameplay, made me come back and play it, because I wanted to see what this new track was like and then drive around it listening to this music that I wouldn't have heard otherwise. Racing games to me aren't necessarily about the cars, it's about the tracks. And while PGR4 probably had the best gameplay of the series, a lot of what made that series special was lost when they had this generic soundtrack where you could listen to any song at any time.

MSR went a step even further by basing the day/night settings of the tracks be set upon the Dreamcast's internal clock, so if you were playing at 12PM on London it would be the daytime in the track, but if you drove in Tokyo next, it would be 8PM their time, and so you would be driving at night. It can be a bit gimmicky sure, but I loved that. I'm amazed no other game has done that, not even PGR.

It's wishful thinking, but I hope PGR5 brings those elements back. But still, PGR5 as a potential launch title for next Xbox? Would be a big deal for me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:22:16 AM by Tuffty »

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #2331 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »

I've already got my eyes on Skyrim, of course.. 8)

I think you would definitely like Dragon Age a lot Shi. Personally I love the Fallout games (Fallout 3 and New Vegas) more than Skyrim but it's a fine game too.

I picked up a 3DS XL a while back along with Mario 3D Land. Best buy had the 3ds Mario Kart 7 bundles on sale and I just happened to have a gift card. :D

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2332 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »
just bought need for speed most wanted for the xbox - still waiting for it to finish downloading  :cow:

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #2333 on: February 10, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
Finished off Devil May Cry. :)

Although it is a little short. It really is a solid game.
The angel/devil weapons were fun, and the combos were kept simple while giving freedom to mix stuff up.

The enemies were kinda average, compared to the angels in Bayonetta.
But the levels had a lot of character. Really well designed and never got boring.
I don't remember any 2 levels looking or feeling the same. In many ways, the levels themselves felt more like the enemy. :D

Don't know why they had a puzzle right near the end though, when they didn't have any in the rest of the game. :roll:

One really big plus from me was they had zero quick-time events. Everything had you jump, run, glide whip, and attack.
Honestly, there were so many scenes where I expected a quick-time button command like X, X, Y, X, do 8 awkward circle motions, or mash circle 50 times to appear. But it didn't.
It stayed in-game, snapping in cinematic vids in between. It kept me 'in the game' and I really liked it. Makes you think how over-rated QTE are to games nowadays.

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #2334 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2335 on: February 12, 2013, 04:59:32 AM »
I'm not sure how far along with Sleepings Dogs I am but I've played 11 hours so far according to Steam and its been an absolute blast. Echoes of Shenmue for sure. When I finish the game expect a write-up in the game review thread.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2336 on: February 12, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »
The sheer terror as the Xenomorphs close on you

Err...

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #2337 on: February 12, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
The sheer terror as the Xenomorphs close on you
Some brilliance from reddit in gifsound form. :P (sound warning)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2338 on: February 12, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »
Gearbox has to be the developer with the most wildly varying quality. They come up with some really good games like Brothers In Arms, Borderlands, even the Halo PC part is pretty good. And then you get stuff like Duke Nukem Forever (admittedly they inherited that piece of crap and couldn't do anything more about it) and now this Aliens game.

I think we can all classify ourselves as hardcore gamers to some degree, but there's one girl we know who may eclipse us all. She plays Monster Hunter for 30 hours straight. It's Maki Goto. If you want to question her credentials, let me just point out that she has an Xbox controller in her hand. In Japan. Now that's commitment.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:27:56 PM by Tuffty »

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2339 on: February 12, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
^ What about Utada Hikaru? Spent 16-17 hours on Tetris DS and got a score of 99,999,999. Anyone want to go against her in Tetris?

But then again...she really doesn't like to lose. Especially to employees from Nintendo.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:30:32 AM by HartAKL85 »

JPHiP Radio (10/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: EvoL - We Are a Bit Different