JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Haruka Kanata

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1004817 times)

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2400 on: March 30, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »
^ That's brilliant! :lol: More Xbox Live haters for me. How come I'm the nerd?! You're playing Xbox too you know! XD

Having haters means you're doing something right. I take that kind of stuff as a compliment  8)

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #2401 on: March 31, 2013, 03:43:09 AM »
Here's a fun thought. Combine your two favorite games and see what you come up with.
Just Cause 2K
Create a basketball player, get drafted to the island of Panau, and proceed to cause chaos and destruction on and off the court with a basketball in one hand...and a grappling hook in the other. 8)

Saints Row: the Minish Cap
The Boss sets out to conquer yet another wild and crazy city, but for some reason needs to constantly shrink down to the size of a mouse to do so. XD (I comfess I would play the shit out of this game)

Need for Speed: Sim City
Build your own city, then street race all over it with your own customized ride...until your internet gets disconnected. :panic:

^ That's brilliant! :lol: More Xbox Live haters for me. How come I'm the nerd?! You're playing Xbox too you know! XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Tuffty/20130330_221301-Copy_zpsfb3728f3.jpg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:46:05 AM by J-Triumf »
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #2402 on: April 05, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2403 on: April 06, 2013, 12:32:59 AM »
EA's been voted the worst company on the planet for the second year in a row. While I don't like them, do I think they're the worst on the planet? Hell no.

In more upsetting news, rumours suggest that the next Xbox will have an always online system built in. Therefore, you must have an active internet connection at all times if you want to play any games at all, even single player. One of the creative directors also shot himself in the foot by suggesting that MS doesn't care for rural areas with limited internet access.

Of course, they should care though. We've seen exactly how badly this always online system has affected Diablo 3 and Sim City. Lord knows I don't have the greatest internet and it's prone to playing up at times. So what happens then? I can't play games, and I have a very expensive brick as a result? There's so much negative backlash to the rumours that you can sense Microsoft is already in a position where they are falling behind in the next-gen title race and it hasn't even begun. The best thing they can do now is to come out and just address the rumours and clarify where things are. If it is true though, and it's always online? Think I'll just opt for a PS4 instead.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2404 on: April 06, 2013, 07:47:45 AM »
^ 'Always on' as in you have three minutes to re-connect otherwise the game will pause, not sure how this is in the U.S. (where probably the most vocal comments are coming from) but that is not really a problem around here.
The comments from that director were taken way out of context.

And that you have to install games to disk I find no problem, I do that anyway: saves time loading portions of the game.

Multiplayer parts of the games require a continues connection anyway.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2405 on: April 06, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
^  But let's assume that a situation arises where you're playing a multiplayer game, you're doing really well and for whatever reason, the next Xbox loses track of you. Say the wi-fi was down or Kinect lost sight of you, then you've lost connection to the system. Not only can you not get back to that multiplayer game, but you can't even play the offline single player. That's what is turning people away. And if you don't have that problem then great, but I do. My wi-fi is prone to just acting up and not working for a time, through no fault of mine, it's just because of the area I live in. What happens in that situation? I just have an expensive brick as I can't play single player. I'm sure it's true for a lot of people. Also, I'm not sure if it is out of context considering that guy's twitter is now no longer public and MS have had to come out and apologise for what he said.

I think the lack of information is seriously hurting them right now.  This news has snowballed massively, and they need to fix it asap. I keep hearing people say they have no reason to, that they'll deal with it in their own terms and their own time when it comes to the consoles reveal in May/E3. But i see that as being the same as finding signs of cancer, but holding out on seeing a doctor because you've got a check up in 2 months. You need to catch these sort of things early, otherwise it's going to hurt them for months.

Doesn't help them that the PS4 is gaining momentum already. Since the reveal we've seen continuous praise for the system, the features, the controller, the specs. Devs seem to love it, indie devs seem to be absolutely flocking to it (while at the same time stating how bad their experience with MS has been) PS4 hype is building momentum in a huge way. Whereas MS, due to them being unwilling to ease peoples mind and even acknowledge the existence of the nextbox, now have rumours floating around of a non-game focused media HUB approach, underpowered specs, mandatory online, mandatory kinect, no used games and with these rumours spreading from gaming and non gaming sites. I honestly haven't heard a single positive rumour about the 720/Durango. Granted, they could all turn out to be false, but I think we know a good few of them will turn out to be true.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2406 on: April 06, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »
^  But let's assume that a situation arises where you're playing a multiplayer game, you're doing really well and for whatever reason, the next Xbox loses track of you. Say the wi-fi was down or Kinect lost sight of you, then you've lost connection to the system. Not only can you not get back to that multiplayer game, but you can't even play the offline single player. That's what is turning people away. And if you don't have that problem then great, but I do. My wi-fi is prone to just acting up and not working for a time, through no fault of mine, it's just because of the area I live in. What happens in that situation? I just have an expensive brick as I can't play single player. I'm sure it's true for a lot of people. Also, I'm not sure if it is out of context considering that guy's twitter is now no longer public and MS have had to come out and apologise for what he said.
To be honest: you should make sure your setup is functioning properly, I have been in multiplayer matches when the host 'disapeared' or others had serious lag: very, very annoying for the other players also!

I have my X-Box 360 and my PS3 connected via Gbit cables. (and I am lucky enough to have a 100Mbit fiber connection to the internet)

I think the lack of information is seriously hurting them right now.  This news has snowballed massively, and they need to fix it asap. I keep hearing people say they have no reason to, that they'll deal with it in their own terms and their own time when it comes to the consoles reveal in May/E3. But i see that as being the same as finding signs of cancer, but holding out on seeing a doctor because you've got a check up in 2 months. You need to catch these sort of things early, otherwise it's going to hurt them for months.

Doesn't help them that the PS4 is gaining momentum already. Since the reveal we've seen continuous praise for the system, the features, the controller, the specs. Devs seem to love it, indie devs seem to be absolutely flocking to it (while at the same time stating how bad their experience with MS has been) PS4 hype is building momentum in a huge way. Whereas MS, due to them being unwilling to ease peoples mind and even acknowledge the existence of the nextbox, now have rumours floating around of a non-game focused media HUB approach, underpowered specs, mandatory online, mandatory kinect, no used games and with these rumours spreading from gaming and non gaming sites. I honestly haven't heard a single positive rumour about the 720/Durango. Granted, they could all turn out to be false, but I think we know a good few of them will turn out to be true.
I would not be surprised if PS4 fanboys are behind the most noisy 'repeat' posts.

Anyway, I do play mostly on X-Box because I like the controllers better, a lot of games are available on both, some (Halo comes to mind) are exclusieve.

I'm not to much 'for' X-Box, just do not like the vocal negatives, and the repeats of them without additional info.

Time to continue with Tomb Raider...

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #2407 on: April 08, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »
They may still have your loyalty frblckstr1, but like you said you are lucky. Sweeping concerns under the rug or labeling those concerned PS4 fanboys isn't going to show those that can make decisions on the matter that such a vampuric consumer service is not going to benefit them in the long run. Heck even today 30% of xbox owners have never even had their console connected.

Benefits of online required console:

For Publishers/Console Maker
-DRM-gated for piracy prevention
-Control second hand game sales
-More available data on users habits and what not

For Consumers/Gamers
-Nothing

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2408 on: April 08, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Why even name that first one? There is no difference between paying for online as for offline, and locking-out crackers I have no problem with.
The second hand games is still a rumor, but it is there for PS3/4 also, and yes if they disable that I might not have played ME1 for 10 euro, but probably would have bought the 3-pack.
#3: Ever seen what they collect for Halo 4  :smhid ok, this was done with Reach multiplayer already but now its for campaign also!
If you are paranoid, never play multiplayer and never visit websites (they still use those 1x1 gifs to track you) or use Google (or Bing).

I'm not so much 'loyal' as that I find the X-Box easier for my casual gameplay, I tried Far-Cry 3 and SWTOR on PC, no comparison on usage and the Graphics card you need is about as expansive as the whole X-Box  8)2

I do read the 'independent' developers like the PS3 environment more, I still have to try Journey...

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2409 on: April 09, 2013, 02:01:13 AM »
Given my internet connection, always-on means I can't use the console. Obviously if it features that, I won't be buying.

Offline Leighh1

• ecchi
« Reply #2410 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:29 AM »
I just can't wrap my head around the 'always-on' debate. To me it just seems like a terrible addition, there's no real benefits to it. If i want to play a single player game, i don't want to be connected to the internet to have to do that; it's contrary to the entire reason i'm playing a single player game. If i'm doing that, it's because I want to zone out and become engrossed in the game environment. I don't really need to be online for that purpose.

I'm not sure if any of you watch TotalBiscuit's videos, but he critiques it in one of his latest ones and raises some good points; mainly that it's just another part of the network that can, and probably will, fail.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2411 on: April 09, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
^ The fact that I have a X-Box Live Gold account setup makes that the machines signs-in anyway whenever I turn it on, so I can't still wrap my head around the whole debate either...

I have seen X-Box sign-in fail maybe once or twice in the last two years which could then be retried a few seconds later, so the three minutes window looks more then enough.
One advantage of being connected, even for single player, is you get warned about available patches.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2412 on: April 09, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »
My 2 cents on all this...

For one I just worry that America doesn't have the broadband infrastructure to actually pull this off successfully. If you have a solid connection that's wonderful and you're very lucky, but some people don't and if being offline turns the new xbox into a fancy paperweight then I'll pass. This 'always-on' thing is much too polarizing for it to be good for marketing. You're either on a rock solid connection so it's a non-issue OR you have a shaky internet connection so the xbox isn't a worthwhile investment. I've no idea why they're doing this..

Second, and not that I'm interested in starting a flame war, but it's my opinion that PC is the future and consoles will be a thing of the past after the next iteration of PlayStation and Microsoft's consoles. My reasoning:

It seems that consoles these days are quickly becoming small PCs that merely restrict what you can do on them with a price point that is becoming less and less attractive. If the new Xbox is going to be, lets say, 500 dollars I could build you a 500 dollar micro-ATX PC that would be the same size to allow the portability that consoles provide and that would be more powerful in every way AND be more useful. Nvidia and AMD are getting more serious about budget gamers, the ones who play on consoles because its it was the cheaper and more accessible option, with the release of the 'gtx650ti boost' and '7790' respectively. I won't get too into performance because there are TONS of respectable reviewers that have done testing to see what these cards can do and they push FPS in a big way on the titles that people WANT to play. Thinking that PC gaming at a certainly quality is for the deep of pocket has already become a thing of the past. Also, higher-end cards like the gtx670 are starting to have shrunken versions for the aforementioned micro-ATX builds to fit into smaller "lan box" type cases without issue. So, if price was your biggest issue for not PC gaming, it shouldn't be anymore. If portability is your biggest issue with PC gaming, it's no longer the case. If having no idea how to build a computer is your biggest issue, I can help you. If your favorite title is only available on the Xbox or PlayStation, then well... I hope you have a strong internet connection! Though, I shouldn't have lumped PlayStation into that last bit. I don't know if they're doing 'always-on' as well. Also, don't think I have ill will to consoles and console gamers. I'll buy whatever console decides to reboot Shenmue 1 and 2 in HD and make the 3rd. That is enough reason for me to buy one. I really just can't see consoles lasting that much longer as a platform for gaming when hardware companies are making honest attempts at becoming more accessible.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2413 on: April 09, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
^ The fact that I have a X-Box Live Gold account setup makes that the machines signs-in anyway whenever I turn it on, so I can't still wrap my head around the whole debate either...

I have seen X-Box sign-in fail maybe once or twice in the last two years which could then be retried a few seconds later, so the three minutes window looks more then enough.
One advantage of being connected, even for single player, is you get warned about available patches.

Likewise, I also have it setup to connect me to Xbox Live when I login. But say there's a problem with the wifi (again, like my wifi does through no fault of mine), I may not be able to go on Xbox Live but at least I am content with the fact that I can still go onto my account and play the games I like for the single player. With this Xbox, under the same scenario, you won't be able to do that. You can't play games at all until your internet is sorted. It's fine for those who have a solid, stable connection, but a lot of people don't and honestly, if they do go down this route then I'll hesitate to buy the next Xbox because of it. I don't want an expensive oversized paperweight. Like Forth said, it's doubtful to guarantee a successful connection in America. What about outside of America where broadband connections aren't up to scratch? It's an anti-consumerist move and one that will drive away a lot of people I feel.

Forthisgift: I agree with you on one hand, but I feel that PC gaming still has this stigma of it being too hard to build, to maintain, to continually upgrade etc. I've heard that's not the case nowadays, but I certainly hear that a lot when someone suggests PC gaming to someone else. For me it's a simple case of knowing that the game I purchase will be playable on any console I buy, but if it's for PC, I won't necessarily know until I play it.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2414 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
Forthisgift: I agree with you on one hand, but I feel that PC gaming still has this stigma of it being too hard to build, to maintain, to continually upgrade etc. I've heard that's not the case nowadays, but I certainly hear that a lot when someone suggests PC gaming to someone else. For me it's a simple case of knowing that the game I purchase will be playable on any console I buy, but if it's for PC, I won't necessarily know until I play it.

It definitely still has that stigma, but like I was saying it really shouldn't anymore because of the recent developments I mentioned. Building a computer seems like a monumental task to the 'uninitiated' but it has really become almost like plug and play barring any DOA hardware. Good point made about how you choose your games. It's probably awesome knowing that any title you pickup is going to work flawlessly on your console because it was specifically made for that hardware. PC gamers have to jump through hoops to a certain extent by going to compatibility websites that take a gander at your hardware via the internet and give you the thumbs up or thumbs down or looking around for people that share a computer with similar specs and see what they get in terms of FPS and picture quality. However, the price point of a 660ti is very manageable and can play any new game. That I can assure anyone here of. Maybe not Crysis 3 on max lol but that game is specifically made to melt computers. If it's true that the Xbox is $500 and there's a $300 subscription fee or whatever you can be sure that a properly built $800 PC is going to play any game on high or better. So yea, that should ease any worries. But again, stigmas die hard and consoles are simple. Why bother doing the PC thing if consoles make you happy? right? I can totally dig that. I'm just aiming my comments at people on the fence who might need to be assured that going to PCs wont let them down. If you're a console lover, please, keep lovin'  :)

Offline Leighh1

• ecchi
« Reply #2415 on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:38 PM »
Likewise, I also have it setup to connect me to Xbox Live when I login. But say there's a problem with the wifi (again, like my wifi does through no fault of mine), I may not be able to go on Xbox Live but at least I am content with the fact that I can still go onto my account and play the games I like for the single player. With this Xbox, under the same scenario, you won't be able to do that. You can't play games at all until your internet is sorted. It's fine for those who have a solid, stable connection, but a lot of people don't and honestly, if they do go down this route then I'll hesitate to buy the next Xbox because of it. I don't want an expensive oversized paperweight. Like Forth said, it's doubtful to guarantee a successful connection in America. What about outside of America where broadband connections aren't up to scratch? It's an anti-consumerist move and one that will drive away a lot of people I feel.

This is my main gripe with it, there's a part of me that thinks the companies that are wanting this to be introduced are forgetting that, while it's clear that internet speeds are obviously getting better, that doesn't mean that EVERYONE who owns a games console has a solid internet connection. People in bad areas of their country, with poorer infrastructure might not be able to have consistent enough internet to always be online.

For instance, I know one guy I used to online game with who lived in Finland, over the summer he lives in a forest cabin/summer house which is essentially in the middle of nowhere. His internet comes from a wireless dongle, which isn't good enough for this always online thing. So as a result, he tends to play a lot of single player games while he's there, as he can't play online. IF this were to be introduced, i'd have to assume that his Dongle just wouldn't be good enough for him to be always online, and as a result would that then mean he'd be deprived of playing Single Player games? I'd assume so, but i'm not 100% on the stats.

It just seems geared towards what they perceive as their strongest markets, whilst forgetting that there's other consumers outwith those who live in these Grade A internet areas.

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #2416 on: April 10, 2013, 04:07:51 AM »
Why even name that first one? There is no difference between paying for online as for offline, and locking-out crackers I have no problem with.
The second hand games is still a rumor, but it is there for PS3/4 also, and yes if they disable that I might not have played ME1 for 10 euro, but probably would have bought the 3-pack.
#3: Ever seen what they collect for Halo 4  :smhid ok, this was done with Reach multiplayer already but now its for campaign also!
If you are paranoid, never play multiplayer and never visit websites (they still use those 1x1 gifs to track you) or use Google (or Bing).

I don't think there was a need dispute those points...as far as I can see, he was simply listing the positives for publishers/etc., not saying they were negative for anyone.

Whenever someone I know complains about something like this, I usually tell them to shut up--because I know for a fact their internet is pretty much never "off". Really though, not everyone is so lucky. I can say for myself that it's not an issue and not something I'll get upset about. If something crazy was to happen and my internet stopped working, I might not even care and just convince myself I could probably do something else besides play games. That's just me, though. I definitely don't expect everyone to feel the same, and I know many people have connection problems...and that's really where it becomes an issue for me.

Like zoolander pointed out, there are no real benefits in this for the consumer. Knowing when a patch is available is not something you can only get while being forced to connect your console. That's a benefit you can get even on this generation's consoles assuming your internet is connected--by choice. The benefits seem to be for everyone but the consumer. What is there to say about something that is either a problem for some, of no difference for others, but a benefit for none? It's just not a good move for the consumer at this point in time, and even as someone who will be largely unaffected by it, I can see why people aren't too crazy about it.

As for the PC gaming thing, I definitely agree. Consoles are basically pre-built PCs at this point. The benefits to having one over just gaming on your PC are becoming less and less, and the reasons are becoming less practical. Of course, we're not there yet, but it's definitely where we're headed. For now, there's still a major place for them, but I fear that won't be the case soon. I wouldn't just say that PC gaming will take over, but rather that it will all come together and that divide will no longer exist. Whatever device people are using, it will probably be some kind of all-in-one solution for people's needs. I could sit here and say that everyone could and should just game on PC right now, but it's really still not a major option for some. Many people that I know that just don't have the hardware to run everything. If not that, they're lazy and fear the entire process, they consider it a hassle, and aren't confident everything will run. They're also broke, so they don't consider an upgrade to be a viable option.

As I see it, most people just don't consider the PC option practical...they feel much better about their investment knowing that everything that comes out for the next 5~ years will just WORK, no hassle, no issues, no thought, no setting up. You buy something, you throw it in, and it works--it's familiar. Over time I feel like things will start to change, but we're definitely not there yet. I'd like to think the generation after this next one will make some major strides in that direction, though..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:16:47 AM by DioBrando »
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #2417 on: April 10, 2013, 09:46:09 AM »
For PC vs consoles. That's exactly what people said about the xbox. It's still around, so we can pretty much agree that consoles are here to stay.
It's just simpler knowing that you have the metal can that can play games on, without fussing with the hardware. :)

For always-online. I think a big question is what good does always-online do for games? Cos games make the console successful. Not the other way around. What features will games get from it? Is it necessary for future-gaming? Will it launch without being a total disaster like Diablo/Simcity and scare off everyone? Can MS sell it off.

It's like shoes with torchlights. Might be really useful, sounds uncomfortable. Do people even want it?

For old guys like me, even buying games online feels irritating. Knowing I'm not buying a disc with the game that I'll own till the day I die (or throw away). Buying online games is bloody convenient and actually totally fits with my "living-in-a-cave" lifestyle. But it sure feels better knowing I can just open the plastic box, stick it in, and play it whenever I want without worrying.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2418 on: April 10, 2013, 09:49:39 AM »
For PC vs consoles. That's exactly what people said about the xbox. It's still around, so we can pretty much agree that consoles are here to stay.
It's just simpler knowing that you have the metal can that can play games on, without fussing with the hardware. :)

Okay fine.. consoles are a dependable platform right now for game companies to create on because they don't have to account for any hardware discrepancies and it's very clear what they can do with one once they get the specs and then develop according. BUT lets forget about PC vs consoles for a second.. the real future for all gaming is cloud gaming anyhow. If you don't know what that is, look into it. It's pretty damn interesting. AMD and Nvidia are publicly putting their future into it so this isn't a debatable topic. It's coming. The question is just 'when?'

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2419 on: April 10, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »

Okay fine.. consoles are a dependable platform right now for game companies to create on because they don't have to account for any hardware discrepancies and it's very clear what they can do with one once they get the specs and then develop according. BUT lets forget about PC vs consoles for a second.. the real future for all gaming is cloud gaming anyhow. If you don't know what that is, look into it. It's pretty damn interesting. AMD and Nvidia are publicly putting their future into it so this isn't a debatable topic. It's coming. The question is just 'when?'
And 'cloud gaming' does not require a 'always on' internet? I think it actually requires a pretty good internet connection because your are streaming video and you do want your button presses to arrive 'in the cloud' asap...

And when I tried Far Cry 3 on a PC, it installed a licensing checking service which contacts... low and behold something on the internet!

So PC is going to take over Consoles is a non argument for the always-on internet problem, so is the cloud gaming.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Haruka Kanata